Monday, February 27, 2012

What we're reading

I haven't done a "what we're reading" post in a long while, so I thought...why not now, when I'm supposed to run out the door in 10 minutes and I'm still in my pj's???  Perfect timing as usual ;)

So my sweet 6 year old boy is reading CHAPTER BOOKS!!  All by himself and I cannot tell you how thrilled he is, or how excited I am for where he is now.  Reading chapter books has been his goal for about 2 years now, and he's really rocking it!  The last year and a half at school, I have been working with him on his reading, and he has just made my heart overflow with pride.  It's amazing to watch your kids leap and grow and progress.  It's amazing how fast they can change.  So back in December when his 3 week break started, we started reading like 2 hours a day {It wasn't a set goal but we just sat and read to each other and hours later we realized what we did, it was awesome.  cuddling, reading, laughing, reading, I LOVE his LOVE for reading!!}, so when he went back to school, his reading level went from a G to who knows what letter awesome.  I can't wait till his teacher conference in 2 weeks so she can tell me the official level.  But he went from reading a page with maybe 2 sentences to chapter books, so that should say something.  When he went back to school in January his teacher said "WOW!  I am shocked and thrilled at how quickly his reading has progressed!"  {She also added that I am super awesome at helping him all the time} Plus we read the Bible all the time, so he can read and understand really large words,  I LOVED that when I was younger.  The meetings and Bible Reading made me excel in reading and spelling.  BooYah!  His other goal is to get on the School and read the Bible.  Awesome :)

Ok, so this isn't quite the long chapter books, but these have been some of his favorites for 6 or so months.  I found a few for sale at the library a few months ago and had to pick them up for E.  Now that he can read them all by himself, he's thrilled.  They are silly and gross and everything a boy loves....

Captain Underpants books!  He's currently reading Captain Underpants and the attack of the talking toilets By Dav Pilkey.  If you have a boy, I'm sure he'll love these.  They have a part chapter book part comic book thing going on.




A few weeks ago, Nani lent me her copy of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and told me I HAD to read it.  So I did, and I LOVED it!  I couldn't put it down.  I can't wait to watch the movieS (yes, there are more than one, SQUEAL, even better, one's by Hitchcock!) and compare and contrast and all that stuff that I love doing! 


So that's what we're reading, definitely check 'em out!
Now I'm late for a very important date!
{Library and Creative Writing in E's class, that's our Mondays} 
Ciao Bella!



4 comments:

KL said...

I love that you have passed on the love of reading to your kids! I am so grateful for my mom taking us to the library and reading with us. It really opens up the world and the imagination! I don't read as much as I would like to now but I still love a good book!

Candi said...

That is totally awesome! We are huge readers too. When Austin was little, he loved to read the Magic Treehouse Series. I bought every single one of them and he's finish them in a day. My husband loves sci-fi so we have pretty much every single Star Wars, Star Trek, Mechwarrior...book there is. I prefer Lauren Willig. I just finished another in her Pink Carnation series. Espionage and Romance...sigh. My husband bought Hunger Games on kindle so now I have it on my iPhone. I've never read one on my phone before. I really love to hold the book and smell it. Yes, I'm a little nerdy :) But he says I'll really like it, so we'll see. I might be a convert.

Vanessa R. said...

I did not realize Rebecca was a book. I remember watching the hitchcock version by myself a few years ago and being scared of every creak and sound I heard. Didn't help it was a windy night, haha! That's awesome ur passing on ur love of reading to your kids, I'm so glad my dad did that for me :)

Marlan said...

So happy he loves reading.